Our Heritage

The work of the Methodist denominations among German speaking residents of the rural area near Marion began in 1844. Previously in 1835, Methodism appointed the first missionary to minister to the large number of German speaking people who had come to this country.

In 1836, the first German Minister, Dr. William Nast was given the state of Ohio as his field for missionary endeavor.

In 1844, the Marion group was part of a large circuit comprising twenty-two preaching places. It took several weeks to travel horseback the four hundred miles to make each round of the circuit. The first meetings were held in homes, the courthouse and then moved to Wesley Chapel at the corner of State and Center Streets.

The congregation grew and in 1868, a plot of ground was purchased at the southwest corner of church and Prospect Streets and the church was built at a cost of $9,000. The Marion church was made part of a circuit including Bethlehem, Zion and Salem. In 1913, it was decided as the congregation grew, to tear down the old church building and erect a new and larger edifice.

In 1941 and 1942, the Bethlehem and Zion churches joined the Marion church becoming Prospect Street United.

In 1965 an educational unit was added and since then, more improvements have been made including a new organ, elevator, increased interior worship space, narthex and an “upper room.”

The Lord led us all the way from gathering in homes for services to a beautiful church and congregation.